Dog bite injuries can be extremely painful and even dangerous, depending on your knowledge of the dog’s medical history and vaccinations. It is important to be prepared and know how to take the appropriate precautions after being bitten in order to minimize risks. Personal injury claims can be a long and tedious process, so working with a personal injury attorney in Los Angeles, California can be helpful to ensure that you’re compensated fairly.
California Dog Bite Laws
California law states that dog bite injuries are the responsibility or “fault” of the pet owner. However, this is only true in certain circumstances. There are many different laws that vary regarding the situation and lawful outcome of a dog bite, including:
If the dog bite happens in a public place or on the pet owner’s property, the pet owner will be at fault.
- Police or military dog owners cannot be sued for the dog biting or injuring an individual while on duty.
- If not directly bitten, the injured person must prove that the dog owner’s negligence of their pet caused the injury.
- Again, the applicable laws will vary case by case so it is best to consult an experienced personal injury lawyer in Los Angeles.
What Are The Immediate Steps to Take Following a Dog Bite?
- Identify the dog and its owner: Having information on the dog is important in order to understand the status of its health and vaccinations. This way, your doctor will have better knowledge of how to treat the bite.
- Seek medical attention: No matter how serious you may think the bite is, it is important to be medically assessed. Even the smallest bites can lead to infection if not professionally treated
- File a dog bite report: You can do this by contacting animal control, which will investigate further into the danger of the dog to prevent future attacks.
- Gather evidence: In order to create a strong, clear case, it is vital that you gather the appropriate information to prove the bite, such as photographs.
- Contact an attorney: A California dog bite lawyer can help you create a strong dog bite lawsuit. In fatal cases, a Los Angeles wrongful death attorney can assist surviving loved ones in filing a wrongful death lawsuit.
What Not to Do After a Dog Dite Accident?
According to our personal injury attorneys here at The Law Offices of John J. Perlstein, there are a few actions you must not take after being involved in a dog attack. Making these critical mistakes can jeopardize your chances of securing a successful lawsuit.
- Do not leave the scene of the bite too quickly unless medically necessary. Taking the time to gather evidence, speak to witnesses, and exchange contact information is essential. Without this documentation, it may be more difficult to make a case.
- Do not deny medical attention, even if injuries seem minuscule. If your injury causes future complications or progresses, it will be hard to prove it was related to the accident without the initial medical documentation.
- Do not accept any money from the dog’s owner, as this can complicate settlement negotiations. Instead, you should be receiving compensation from an insurance company, as settled through a personal injury case.
- Never state your fault. Claiming any sort of responsibility for the attack or injury can throw off the legal process and prevent you from gaining full retribution for your damages.
- Similarly to never stating fault, it is advisable to avoid talking to insurance companies or opposing lawyers without legal representation. Unfortunately, any statement can be used against you. Luckily, a California dog bite lawyer will work tirelessly on your behalf so you don’t have to worry about anything except recovering.
A Los Angeles personal injury lawyer can advise you on all the dos and don’ts to successfully sue for injury compensation.
What Is a Dog Bite Report and Should I File It?
Filing a dog bite report is essential after being bitten by a dog, especially if its owner and medical history are unknown. This is because rabies can be transmitted through dog bites. It is important for State officials to know so they can take further action to prevent future bite incidents. To file a dog bite report, contact your local animal control center.
Schedule a Free Consultation With an Experienced Los Angeles Injury Attorney
We know that a dog attack can be a very distressing and fearful experience. And in extreme cases, dog bite cases can even lead to wrongful death cases.
Our Los Angeles personal injury law firm is here to protect you and ensure you receive justice and compensation for the mental and physical suffering endured. Call us today at (213) 252-1070 – or fill out this contact form – to discuss your claim with a Los Angeles injury attorney.