Train accidents occur more frequently in California than many realize. Whether due to human error or issues with tracks, signals, or equipment, a train crash can lead to severe injuries or even fatalities.
At our law firm, our experienced personal injury attorneys in Los Angeles, CA understand the complexities of train accident cases. If you have been a victim of a train crash in California, our team is here to provide the guidance and expertise you need to navigate the legal process.
In this article, we will provide you with the information you need to know about train crashes and the types of personal injury claims associated with them. We hope to provide you with the knowledge necessary to seek the justice you deserve if you or a loved one has been involved in a train accident (California).
What is the Biggest Cause of Injury on the Railway?
The main causes of train accidents stem from mechanical issues or defects with the signals, equipment, or tracks (often leading to train derailment). Human error or negligence, such as speeding, reckless driving, or carelessness by pedestrians or drivers, can also contribute to train incidents that cause injury or harm.
To stay safe at a train station, always be aware of your surroundings to prevent injury, harm, or dangerous situations. Steer clear of the edge of the railroad tracks and refrain from texting while walking for your utmost safety. Especially if you are with children, maintain a safe distance from the tracks and securely hold their hands while walking across the platform. Being mindful of these safety measures can minimize the risk of accidents on or near the railway.
Types of Personal Injury Claims Resulting From a Train Incident
When it comes to train accidents, the severity of the incident and the resulting injuries can lead to various types of personal injury claims. Our comprehensive Personal Injury and Wrongful Death Glossary offers valuable insights into commonly used legal jargon, giving you the confidence to handle claim procedures like a pro. (But don’t get too confident — our Los Angeles personal injury attorneys are here to help!)
So, what kind of claims might arise after a train crash incident? Here are some common ones:
- Negligence. Negligence happens when someone fails to take reasonable care, causing harm or injury to another person or their property.
- Product liability. The legal responsibility could fall on the manufacturer, designer, or distributor if a defect in the train’s brakes, signals, equipment, or other components contributes to an accident or injury.
- Premises liability. California law requires property owners to maintain a safe environment. Property owners can be held responsible for the resulting harm in cases of injury on their premises. If a passenger slips and falls onto the tracks during a rainy day because the station failed to put up a caution sign, the injured passenger may file a premises liability claim.
- Wrongful death. Wrongful death cases fall under the category of personal injury claims. If someone loses their life in a train accident due to the negligence, misconduct, or wrongful actions of another party, close family members can pursue damages and seek justice with the support of a wrongful death attorney (Los Angeles).
- Emotional distress. Being involved in a train crash can be a highly traumatic experience. You can receive compensation for the emotional distress caused by the accident, which may include psychological impact, pain, and suffering.
What To Do at the Accident Scene
First and foremost, call 911 if you are injured. Once you ensure that you and everyone around you are safe, gather all of the necessary evidence and details from the scene, just as you would with any other car accident. Here is some of the information you will want to collect:
- Names, addresses, and contact information of everyone involved, including passengers, witnesses, and train staff.
- Train number or name, railway company, and any other details regarding the specific train.
- Date, time, and location of the accident.
- Description of what happened.
- Photos of the accident scene, property damage, or injuries sustained.
This information will be useful when filing a wrongful death or personal injury claim following the incident. Keep all relevant details and documentation for your records, and our Los Angeles injury attorneys will take it from there.
Get the Justice You Deserve
If you are involved in a train accident, consider contacting a Los Angeles personal injury lawyer. A legal representative, such as John J. Perlstein (aka the top personal injury attorney in Los Angeles), can help you seek compensation for any injuries wrongfully sustained in a train crash.
In cases of wrongful death, a Los Angeles wrongful death lawyer can help prove that another’s negligence, misconduct, or wrongful actions led to the train accident and subsequent death. Family members of a wrongful death victim can receive compensation for medical bills, funeral expenses, loss of income, and loss of companionship.
If you are a train crash victim or a loved one of a victim, we suggest seeking legal guidance as soon as possible to ensure your filing meets California’s statute of limitations. Our Los Angeles wrongful death law firm offers a free consultation to help victims understand their options before committing to a formal case. We encourage all victims to discuss their cases and concerns with a wrongful death or personal injury attorney (Los Angeles) to make an informed choice.
A Personal Injury Lawyer in Los Angeles Can Help
If you are involved in a train crash, we recommend reaching out to a personal injury or wrongful death attorney immediately. John J. Perlstein, one of the best personal injury attorneys in Los Angeles, has over 25 years of experience securing fair and just outcomes in personal injury cases. He will ensure accurate compensation for victims of train accidents and other personal injuries.
You can reach us at (213) 583-5786 or complete the form on our website to schedule a free consultation with personal injury lawyers (Los Angeles and the surrounding area). This consultation will provide you with an opportunity to discuss your situation with us. We are here to help in any way that we can.